Lefkada, the “island of poets and legends,” is the only Greek island directly accessible by road and has an excellent internal road network. It is 350 kilometers (4-5 hours by car) away from Athens and just an hour and a half away from Igoumenitsa, while the international airport at Aktion is just 15 minutes from the island.
Lefkada is a verdant and geologically polymorphic island with world renowned beaches, and it is surrounded by a host of other little islands.
For those who want to have an overall picture of the island, we have gathered a suggestion of sights of interest and tours inside the island:
1. Lefkada town (30 km): churches, ionian School of painting, the Venetian Castle, the ancient town of Lefkada – Nirikos, the Archeological Museum, local museums, Ai Giannis beach, Agios Nikitas beach and village, the peaceful and verdant landscape of Faneromeni Monastery, excellent restaurants.
2. Nydri (14 km): boat ride to the Prinkiponisia (Prince’s Islands), Onassis’s Scorpios, Madouri-Valaoritis, Agia Kyriaki, where the Nymphs’ Rock and Dörpfeld’s tomb are located. Visit the archeological site and the waterfalls, the road toward Vafkeri via Nydri, with a view of the enchanting Prince’s Islands.
3. Vasiliki (6 km): world renowned windsurfing beach, water sports, daily excursions to Ithaca and Kefalonia, also has a Health Center, excellent restaurants.
4. Poros (4 km): antiquities on the outskirts of the village, the beach of Rouda-Micros Gialos, fresh fish in the seafront taverns.
5. Marantohori and Evgyros, traditional mountain villages, visit an old olive press and a typical winery, and the Evmaios cave.
6. Meganisi-Papanikoli cave, by boat or small craft from Nydri, swim at beautiful beaches, eat at seafront taverns, explore an idyllic small island nearby.
7. Drive from Porto Katsiki to Egremni, world-renowned sandy beaches, visit the cape of Lefkata where, apart from the enchanting view and the sunset, there are traces of the temple of Apollon.
8. Eglouvi (Lentil Festival) and Karya (traditional wedding, traditional lefkadian embroideries): authentic mountain villages, excellent traditional lefkadian food.